Chris Christie Allows New Jersey Sports Betting Despite Ban - Manassehs Children
5075
single,single-post,postid-5075,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-5.7,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.3.4,vc_responsive

Chris Christie Allows New Jersey Sports Betting Despite Ban

04 Mar Chris Christie Allows New Jersey Sports Betting Despite Ban



Nj-new Jersey Governor Chris Christie has given a directive allowing sports betting to maneuver ahead in the Garden State. (Image: Lucas Jackson, Reuters)

New Jersey activities wagering might not be this kind of pipe dream most likely. Even though the state has lost in federal court over its plan to regulate and license recreations betting at casinos and racetracks throughout the New Jersey, some officials point to a glimmer of hope in the rulings: the fact that they found that there’s absolutely nothing in New Jersey legislation itself that would stop those venues from offering bets on the own.

On Monday, that’s just what Governor Chris Christie used to issue a directive enabling racetracks and casinos to start providing sports betting without concern with civil or liability that is criminal. Governor Christie cited the previous court rulings to say that such actions were not prohibited under nj-new Jersey law, and that federal law only forbids the state from regulating the activity.

Christie Changes Tune on Federal Ruling

‘Based on the arguments of the sports leagues additionally the United States Department of Justice, the 3rd Circuit has already ruled that New Jersey can execute recreations wagering as described in today’s statewide directive,’ stated a statement from the Governor’s office. ‘The motion simply would clarify and formalize that authority and give clear guidance to casinos and racetracks waiting to start a recreations pool in brand New Jersey.’

The decision appears to mark a sudden turnaround for Christie on the problem. Initially, while clearly disappointed with the court ruling, the governor showed up ready to offer through to the presssing issue as soon as the United States Supreme Court refused to hear the way it is. Last month, he even vetoed a bill that would have worked to circumvent the ruling and allow for betting to go forward.

Along with the directive, Christie and the state of the latest Jersey have additionally filed a motion in federal court seeking clarification over the ruling that blocked the licensing program that nj had tried to place into spot for activities betting. That program was put into spot after voters in the state showed support that is strong activities betting in a nonbinding referendum right back in 2011.

Supporters Thrilled with Choice, Sports Leagues Not Much

The directive will allow wagers on all contests that are sporting except for collegiate contests that either take place in New Jersey, or which function teams from colleges in New Jersey regardless of where those games are played.

‘Victory at last,’ stated Democratic State Senator Raymond Lesniak, that has been one of the prominent supporters of bringing sports betting towards the state. ‘People should book their resort rooms in Atlantic City for the Super Bowl now because there won’t be any available in february’

However, not many people are performing a dance of glee; it’s likely that the move will yet again be challenged by most major American activities organizations. All four major professional leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL) oppose the spread of sports betting, as does the NCAA, which governs collegiate activities.

Some of the resistance may be starting to fade, however. New NBA Commissioner Adam Silver recently said that legalized activities betting much more states is ‘inevitable,’ and that the league will probably find ways to embrace it in the future.

‘If you have a gentleman’s bet or a tiny wager on any type of activities contest, it makes you that much more engaged in it,’ Silver said at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit. ‘That’s where we will notice it pay dividends. Then it’s much more likely you will stay tuned in for a long time slotsforfun-ca.com. if individuals are watching a game and clicking to bet on their smartphones, which is really what people are doing in the United Kingdom right now,’

Sports betting has been illegal in every states with the exception of Nevada, Delaware, Montana and Oregon because the passage of the 1992 expert and Amateur Sports Protection Act. At the time, nj had a chance to legalize activities wagering before what the law states went into effect, but failed to do this in the time parameters permitted.

Ray Rice Loses Baltimore Ravens Contract Over TMZ Video

A brand new video that is TMZ-released Ray Rice striking their then-fiancée-now-wife in a Revel Casino elevator. (Image: Robert Mayer-USA TODAY Sports)

Ray Rice was currently the subject of plenty of scorn after he was charged with felony assault for an incident with then-fiancée Janay Palmer (the couple has since hitched) at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City in February. Finally, Rice was only suspended by the National Football League for two games, a decision that also sparked outrage among many fans, leading to Commissioner Roger Goodell admitting that harsher penalties were needed for domestic violence going forward.

Both the NFL and Rice are now going to face a new round of questions in the times to come. a video that is second of incident had been posted by TMZ early Monday early morning, and it included footage that was much more graphic than what had formerly been seen by the public. The Baltimore Ravens have terminated Rice’s contract as a result.

New Video Reveals Knockout

In the video that is initial Rice had been seen dragging a presumably unconscious Palmer out of an elevator at Revel. However the new video also shows what happened in the elevator moments before. In it, both Rice and Palmer are seen getting to the elevator. Seconds later, there clearly was a scuffle, which ends with Rice throws a punch to Palmer’s face that knocks her head into the relative back railing of the elevator, after which she falls to the floor. The video then continues to show Rice drag her out of this elevator, a scene that also played down in the video that is first to the general public months ago.

In a statement from the NFL, officials claimed that the video was as new to them because it was to the general public.

‘ We requested from law enforcement any and all given information concerning the incident, including the video from in the elevator,’ the statement read. ‘That video had not been made offered to us. And no one in our office has seen it until today.’

Questions Raised About Just What NFL Knew

But that statement seems to contradict the reporting from numerous NFL reporters into the wake of the event. In July, reports from prominent NFL article writers such as for instance Sports Illustrated‘s Peter King and ESPN’s Chris Mortensen both referenced NFL officials having seen the movie.

‘There is one other thing i did so maybe not write or refer to, which is one other videotape the NFL and some Ravens officials have seen, from the security camera within the elevator the physical altercation between Rice and his fiancée,’ King had written during the time. Today Mortensen’s report mentioned details of the video that appear to accurately match those from the video released.

According to reports that have been reiterated because the latest video was leaked, several NFL reporters said that they were told in private that the video revealed Palmer being violent towards Rice, and so it may well have mitigated Rice’s punishment. Infamously, the Baltimore Ravens tweeted a controversial message that ‘Janay Rice claims she deeply regrets the role that she played the nights the incident.’

Since the episode, Rice and Palmer married, and Palmer has publicly expressed support for Rice february. The couple also met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell before Rice’s punishment was established, with Goodell saying that the suspension that is short because of the fact that Rice appeared remorseful for his actions and because the charges against him had been dropped.

Trump Taj Mahal Faces Mid-November Closure in Atlantic City

The Trump Taj Mahal could be the next casino, while the second Trump-branded home, to shut down in Atlantic City. (Image: wikipedia.org)

The Trump Taj Mahal could be the latest in a sequence of Atlantic City gambling enterprises to shut down for good. Parent business Trump Entertainment Resorts (TER) filed for bankruptcy this week, and says the Taj Mahal will join sister property the Trump Plaza, which is closing in only one week, with a possible november 13 closure as well. TER says that without some union salary cutbacks, the property cannot continue to operate beyond that date.

‘Absent expense reductions, particularly concessions from their unions, the debtors expect that the Taj Mahal will close on or shortly after November 13, 2014 and that most operating units is going to be terminated between November 13, 2014 and November 27, 2014,’ said TER in its petition that is own filed the US Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware on Tuesday. TER noted that while its assets had been little more than $50,000, the company’s liabilities stand somewhere between the $100 million and $500 million mark. Having skipped out on its quarterly tax payment that was due in August, TER now says it simply doesn’t have method to continue spending creditors with debts which is due in September.

Meanwhile, critical online gambling alliances with Betfair and Ultimate Gaming are now being severed by the web operators, whom now want to find new land gambling enterprises to call home so that they can continue steadily to operate, which is really a regulatory must in New Jersey.

Ironically, Donald Trump has nothing at all to do with any of this. In a declaration from the billionaire’s attorney, it was noted that ”Mr. Trump brilliantly left Atlantic City more than seven years ago and has not been right back. Mr. Trump has definitely nothing related to Trump Entertainment Resorts Inc.’

More Unemployment Unwelcome News

Six thousand individuals have previously lost their jobs following the closure of Revel, the Showboat, and, earlier in the year, the Atlantic Club, and this week hundreds of ex-casino workers waited in line to apply for unemployment at an urgent situation session at the Atlantic City Convention Center. With the expected closure of the Trump Plaza in mid-September, Atlantic City could be evaluating 8,000 individuals out of work, fuelling fears of this various social ills engendered by mass unemployment, such as for instance a crime rate that is rising.

Neighborhood 54 of Unite-HERE Union President Bob McDevitt was quick to blame TER and the Trump Taj Mahal for the failure, noting that the casino had perhaps not made good use of its $130 million in 2014 video gaming intakes to date. ‘If our members were to work for minimum wage with no advantages, it wouldn’t be sufficient to keep this property in the hands of its current owners for a year,’ McDevitt said.

Falling on Hard Times

These are a down economy for the company, which had apparently been trying to sell the Plaza for a long time before announcing its closure last month. Last year, TER tried to sell the property for $20 million to the Californian-based Meruelo Group. The deal fell through when Trump Entertainment was struggling to get a release on its mortgage, with the senior lender refusing to approve the sale at such a low price.

However, the company may have more luck locating a buyer for the Taj; while the Plaza is certainly Atlantic City’s poorest casino that is performing the Taj is a better prospect, with only a slight working loss in the 1st six months of the year.

Wrath of The Donald

The Taj Mahal was the casino that is third be obtained by Donald Trump during his Atlantic City empire-building of the 1980s. Trump bought the unfinished property from Resorts International for $230 million, and by the time it had been completed in 1990, it had cost $1 billion to build. In 2009, Trump left the casino industry once and for all, keeping a 10 percent stake in Trump Entertainment, but using no right component into the operation of its two casinos.

Final month he announced his attention to sue Trump Entertainment for the continued use of their name. Trump has stated he was incensed at the method that his former company has handled the two remaining properties, complaining that it has allowed them to fall into ‘disrepair,’ tarnishing the Trump brand name name of which he is fiercely protective.

‘it is wanted by me off both [casinos],’ he snapped. ‘I been away from Atlantic City for many years. People think we run (the company), so we do not. It’s not us. It is not me.’

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.