10 Oct Information for Males that have sex with guys
Why am we more vulnerable to getting HIV or an intimately sent Infection (STI)?
It’s important to just simply take preventative measures in order to avoid getting HIV or other STIs while having sex since the risk is greater for males who possess intercourse with guys compared to other folks. Simply because the liner regarding the rectum is more delicate than the liner of a vagina and it’s also consequently more at risk to become damaged.
Insertive rectal intercourse (topping) is usually a smaller danger for HIV than receptive anal intercourse (bottoming), but both topping and bottoming during unprotected (condomless) anal intercourse is recognized as risky.
Men who possess intercourse with men composed 45% of brand new HIV diagnoses in 2017 in the united kingdom. Within Solent Sexual Health males who possess intercourse with men made 48% of most brand brand brand new HIV diagnoses in 2018.
There are also increases when you look at the wide range of Syphilis and Gonorrhoea diagnoses in Hampshire. Both these could be handed down by condomless intercourse also anal intercourse.
With PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) being more readily available, some individuals can be placing by themselves at greater threat of getting an STI as PrEP only protects against HIV transmission.
Cutting your threat of getting an STI or HIV
The way that is best to guard your self if you are planning to have oral or anal intercourse is use a condom each and every time. Even though they are not 100% assured, whenever utilized precisely condoms are incredibly effective. Top methods for making use of condoms.
Condoms are offered in different sizes and varieties, consequently for those who haven’t quite discovered the right fit or feel, take to utilizing alternative sizes, brands and types to see what is most effective for you. If you’re responsive to latex, take to making use of latex free condoms. Condoms can be obtained free via our Condoms by Post solution.
You could lower your danger by:
- Making use of lubrication. We advice water based lube, but this could be dry or gluey helping to make condom splitting much more likely. Keep refreshing it with an increase of lube or a couple of falls of water while having sex. Spit can spread some STIs, therefore avoid utilizing saliva.
- Decreasing the amount of intimate lovers you’ve got
- Getting tested for STIs before making love with some body advising and new that they visit web-site even have tested. If you should be having regular alterations in intimate lovers then 3 month-to-month STI evaluating is preferred.
- Reducing other activities which will impact your decisions, such has eating alcohol that is too much using medications.
- Getting immunised (vaccinated) against Hepatitis B, Hepatitis a plus some forms of HPV.
You are having (Chemsex), it’s important to be informed of the risks involved and how to play as safely as possible if you use drugs as part of the sex. Some kinds of Chems pose a greater danger for your requirements simply because they could cause long run health issues such as for example despair, fat reduction and dependence that is psychological. To learn more about playing properly, view here.
That you have been exposed to HIV click here if you are worried.
Professional solutions we could provide for your requirements
- Hepatitis a for males
- Hepatitis B for guys
- Peoples Papillomavirus (HPV) for males aged between 15 and 45
MSM clinic (Hospital Xtra):
Clinic Xtra provides tailored solutions for males who possess intercourse with males including:
- Post visibility prophylaxis for HIV (PEPSE)
- Support and advice for pre publicity prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
- Recommendations for help around ChemSex and substance abuse and danger decrease
- STI evaluating and treatment
Hospital Xtra intimate wellness clinics can be found at:
- St Marys Hospital, Portsmouth: 5:00 – 7:00pm thursday
- Royal Southern Hants Hospital, Southampton: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Crown Heights, Basingstoke: Monday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Andover wellness Centre: Friday 10:30am – 12:00pm
Do you want assistance to lessen your danger?
You can arrange to see one of our health promotion practitioners if you would like to find out about support available or further advice. Please contact 0300 300 2016 and have to talk to the Sexual Health marketing Team or email snhs. Sexualhealthpromotion@nhs.net.
Are you confronted with HIV?
If you should be worried you have been exposed to HIV (had unsafe sex with some body whoever HIV status that you do not understand, or know to stay positive and never on completely suppressed (undetectable) on therapy, or shared injecting gear), you are entitled to Post-exposure Prophylaxis.
Effective HIV treatment (ART) lets people lead healthier active everyday lives and additionally protects their lovers. Whenever viral load is invisible on ART, HIV is not any longer sexually transmitted – with or without condoms. The ev
Post-exposure Prophylaxis ( PEPSE or PEP) is medicine you can easily simply simply take in lowering the opportunity of HIV transmission. It really is four weeks course this is certainly very long of that is taken after unsafe sex where there’s been a greater threat of visibility. PEP or PEPSE should be studied just as feasible after intercourse, and undoubtedly within 72 hours. The sooner it really is started a lot more likely it really is to your workplace. It is important to have an evaluation with a nurse or doctor before you are recommended this medicine. It is necessary you have started it that you complete the course once.
That you have been exposed to HIV you should attend one of our clinics, or an Accident and Emergency department straight away if you are worried.